Sunday, October 23, 2011

Green Smoothies

One of my most dearest friends, Heidi (who REALLY should start a blog! She is always making super, yummy and healthy recipes) mentioned she had started making green smoothies and totally inspired me to get "back on the wagon". And she shared that her green smoothies go beyond spinach and that she also uses kale, arugala, and baby romaine.

I noticed I had a big container of spinach but could tell that it would be bad within a few days. Then I remembered how you can puree and freeze your veggies for homemade baby food and decided to apply the logic to smoothies!

In this picture I filled by blender up with Kale, added about 1/2 cup of water and pureed it all up.

Then I poured the puree into ice cube trays until frozen. The below pictures are of my spinach puree.

Once they were frozen I popped them out and put them in a freezer bag. Now it will be super easy to throw then into smoothies without worrying about my greens going bad. And I could even mix greens in the smoothies.


My kiddos love green smoothies, or dinosaur smoothies as we call them a lot of the time. This is such a great way to get those awesome leafy greens into their tummies! This is especially great to do as we are going into cold and flu season!


Green Smoothie (makes 2)
3-4 spinach cubes
1/3-1/2 C. Greek Yogurt (I had the vanilla bean kind on hand)
1 banana
2-3 Tbs. ground flax seeds
1/2 C. frozen strawberries
1/2 C. frozen peaches
1/3 C. water

Pink Smoothie (makes 2)
3-4 kale cubes
1/2 C. Greek yogurt
1 banana
1/2 C. frozen raspberries
splash of lime juice
1/3 C. water

The best part about making smoothies is that you can use whatever is available, you can easily use frozen ingredients, and you can experiment and have lots of variety!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I look at those glasses and they remind me of cute little dimples on a cute smiley face.

    ReplyDelete