Friday, March 16, 2012

On being a mom...


Being a mom really changes a person... or more than that, Jesus really changes a person. I have wanted to be a mom my entire life. Being a mom and wife has always been my big career goal. I went to college to get my MRS (I went ahead and got a Bachelors of Science while I was there... ) But, my vision of motherhood now compared to my vision of motherhood as a little girl has changed drastically.

When I was young I thought of motherhood in terms of caring for my future children's physical needs. I thought about feeding them and bathing them. I thought about dressing them up in cute, matching outfits. I thought of throwing them birthday parties and decorating their bedrooms. And I carried on with this as my mindset even when I was pregnant with my first child. I was consumed with decorating the nursery, buying clothes, picking out just the right bouncy seat and swing. These were the important things.

But, now that I am a few years into motherhood I feel like I was so shallow back then. I totally didn't have any grasp of what being a mom is actually about. Sure, I do have to meet the physical needs of my children. And this is certainly the most time consuming part of my "job". And let's be honest, putting a flowery headband on a little girl or a sweet sweater vest on your little guy is one of the perks of the job.

But, I find that the most important part of my job and the most mentally consuming part of my job is caring for the hearts and minds. Encouraging, teaching, talking with, listening, training and disciplining... the inside stuff. That is what being a mom is about down at the core. Giving love and affirmation to our children, giving them a vision for eternity- what else could matter more?

Anyone can care for our children's needs. And a lot of people do it well. I am not the only one that can dress my child or feed them breakfast. And, in reality, I am not the only one that can teach them about God or touch their hearts in some way. But, since I am their mom, I do know them better than anyone else. And I believe as my children's mom God has given me a heart for my children that no one else has. I can't imagine any one else loving my children more than I do, having the same vision for their lives, caring for their hearts quite like I do (except for Jesus of course).

I am not saying it is wrong to decorate our kiddos rooms or put them in cute outfits (I like to do these things to). But, those things can't be the priority. Because, to put it plainly, if our children had adorable bedrooms, perfect outfits, and the most outrageous birthday parties in the neighborhood but we did not take the time everyday to speak to their hearts and pour into their souls that I believe we have failed. Being a mother is not about helping our children keep up with the Jones's... it is about touching their hearts for eternity.

I want to encourage all of us as moms to take a step back and take a hard look at where we are focusing our energy. Have we prayed with our children today? Have we prayed for them? Have we read them a good book and asked what they thought about it? Have we snuggled and tickled and laughed and chased? Today, let's do the job that only we as their moms can do for them. I don't think we will regret it.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post, Katie!! I'm sharing it on my FB page. I hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

      Delete