Thursday, June 21, 2012

Our first year homeschooling

It is only June but me and my favorite 5 year old have already been doing the Kindergarten thing for a few weeks! And we are loving it. I decided to go with homeschooling year round for now. Since the hubs works year round I felt like it made more sense to go that route and take longer breaks throughout the year.

I decided to start out slowly. The first few weeks we just did phonics and handwriting. This week we added in math and geography. Next week we will add in our science. And of course all of this is while reading tons of books and taking every opportunity we have to learn in our everyday life!

I struggled over which curriculums to go with but finally decided a few weeks ago.

Here is what we are using this year!
Hooked on Phonics (I bought an older version off E-bay that included K-2nd grade)
Horizons Math K
Exploring Creation with Astronomy
Operation World (we are using this along with a globe and blank maps for geography)
Copybook by Memoria Press (handwriting)
Child's Book of Character Building
I also am using some of these printables for record keeping this year. I know this year will be filled with trial and error as me and my little guinea pig go on this adventure together. But, I couldn't feel more blessed to have the opportunity to teach my son and watch him learn and grow!

Not Back to School Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Katie. I'm mentioning your blog with a Liebster award on my blog today. Have you heard of the Liebster? Come on over to see what it's about. Have a wonderful holiday week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, I'm sorry I missed this exciting post before! As you know, we are also getting started with kindergarten homeschooling this summer. I am currently really praying for discernment in how to structure our days, especially once we start up BSF and Children's Music Academy again in the fall. I would love to hear how your days play out as you get going. And congrats to you on #4! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was very wise of you to start off slowly and add a little at a time. Great idea!

    We are just finishing up our Astronomy studies with Apologia! We really had a lot of fun with it; you won't be disappointed!

    If you are interested in connecting with other Apologia users, check out the Apologia Blog Roll that I host here:

    http://myjoy-filledlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/apologia-blog-role-2012-2013.html

    Upon checking out your blog, I also noticed you are expecting! Congrats!! I also host a pregnancy link up if you are interested!

    http://myjoy-filledlife.blogspot.com/search/label/My%20Pregnancy%20Journal%20Link-Up

    Hope you have a great year!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! I appreciate the tips and can't wait to check out your blog! Thank you so much for stopping by mine!

      Delete