Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Stick to the {plan}


Last year I did it. I read through the entire Bible. After probably 20+ attempts of trying to do this I finally did it. And it really was awesome. Everyday (or just about) I would pull out my little reading guide and read a little from the Old Testament and a little from the New Testaments and then I got to make that one gratifying check mark next to what I read!

In August I finished my reading plan. I was so glad to be done but after finishing I really found myself struggling to read the Bible everyday. I felt like I didn't know what to read. I would read the different chapters and portions I was using in my Bible study or Discipleship but I didn't really know what to read during my "just for me" quiet time. More often than not I found myself flipping aimlessely through Psalms or Proverbs.

So, I realized that I am just a girl who needs a plan. And that is okay! And I want to encourage you if getting into the Word everyday is a challenge to use a Bible reading plan. There are literally hundreds of them online you can choose from. You can read based on different topics, read through the Bible in a  year, or two years, or 90 days! Read through the Bible chronologically, read through just the Old Testament, Read through the New Testament... seriously, there are so many awesome options out there.

I have decided to do a plan where I read through the New Testament in a year. I knew that this year I would still be doing discipleship and I will probably do a ladies Bible study again this winter so I wanted to make sure I picked a plan I could stick with. I am using this one right here.

I also thought I would pass on a few tips that really helped me to get through my reading plan last time...

  • Don't worry about the dates on the plan! I started my Bible in a year plan in August of 2011 and read through the next August. Start whenever you want... you don't need to wait until January 1st!
  • Don't stress about missing a day. Don't give up... who cares if it takes you 14 months instead of 12 months to read through the Bible? It is still an accomplishment!
  • Don't be a slave to your plan. It is to help you, but you are the boss. If you need to keep reading, keep reading! 
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you use a reading plan or not! My husband has never used one and he has read through the Bible probably almost a dozen times. For him it works to just start at the beginning and read all the way through and then repeat. All that matters is that you are in God's word daily and that you are reading all of God's word. 

Here is a short 25 day reading plan I found online if you are looking for something to get you started! This plan focuses on preparing your heart for Christmas. Love it.
Growing Home

No comments:

Post a Comment