Friday, October 25, 2013

Around the web!

There were some great reads/listens around the web this week. They are on the "controversial" side if you can call it that. I personally am thankful that there are men in our society that are willing to stand up and defend women and children and speak truth at any cost.

I have been thinking so much lately about how our society desperately wants to believe that there is no ultimate source of truth. The whole "I'm okay, your okay" mantra. But, there is a source of truth- The Bible. And there is right and there is wrong.

That is not to say that there aren't some areas of freedom. There absolutely are. But, even in those areas we should be asking the question, "How can I glorify God in this?" instead of "What do I want to do?" (paraphrased Mark Driscoll quote that totally spoke to me today!).

Speaking of freedom in Christ... I really enjoyed this Ask Pastor John Podcast from this week on drinking alcohol.

I also loved this article from the Matt Walsh blog about government education. I think he hit the nail on the head on so much of it. We are living in a different world today now that the national government is basically controlling our schools rather than the states. I had mixed emotions about this article at first because I know so many amazing public school teachers who really do just want to teach their students subjects they are passionate about... but I am also watching these same teachers lose the freedom to actually teach their students. I also loved his obvious passion for homeschooling! Here is a quote from the article...

"And this is why people hate home schooling. They hate it because it’s against the grain. It’s too far “out there.” Almost every human being was “home schooled” for most of human civilization, but now many can’t even fathom the concept. These people have no rational or empirical case against it. By any standard or academic indicator, home schooled kids outperform their public schooled peers by wide margins. The critics might babble about how public schools are good for “socialization,” but in the next breath they’ll complain of the bullying “epidemic."

And lastly, I was very touched by this video from Mark Driscoll's series on the 10 Commandments. I love his willingness to speak truth even when it makes people uncomfortable. I am thankful for Godly men who are willing to act like men and "seek justice and love mercy" (Micah 6:8).
And I will lead you with something with zero controversy... a picture of the cutest baby on the planet... ;)

I hope you all have a great weekend! Let's seek to glorify God and stand up for His truth in all that we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment